This recipe is one of our favourites, they are delicious, filling and so much better for you than fried options.
This Recipe makes 6 cakes
What you’ll need:
- 500g of raw but frozen cod fillets
- 500g of potatoes, pealed & cut into chunks for boiling
- 2 slices of bread, pulsed into breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsps of plain flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten in a bowl. seasoned with salt & pepper
- cooking spray, fry-light works perfect
- Dried parsley
- salt & pepper for seasoning
What to do;
- First put your potatoes on to boil in salted water.
- cook the cod however you desire, I bake it in the oven until completely cooked. Seasoned with salt, pepper & dried parsley. Generally just how the packet instructs.
- Once the fish is cooked place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up any excess moister. Flake and set aside to cool.
- Once your Potatoes are just fork tender, drain and place in a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
- while waiting for the fish and potatoes to cool, make sure your oven is preheated to 220c.
- in separate bowls prepare the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs for the coating.
- line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- once the potatoes and fish are cooled completely, mash the potatoes until just mashed together. there is no need to make them super smooth.
- Add in the flaked fish to the potatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1 tsp of dried parsley, crumbling it in your finger so the pieces are not big and it distributes well throughout the cakes.
- using your hands form 6 cakes and place them on a plate.
- coat each cake in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs and place on the lined baking sheet.
- spray each side with cooking spray and place in the hot oven.
- cook for 12-16 minutes turning half way to ensure even cooking/heating.
- Serve as is with vegetables or leave to cool and freeze to be reheated at a later date.